‘Self-employed role: up to about 40 hours per week
Central London based
I am a busy practitioner (24 years call) at Temple Garden Chambers. My practice is predominantly personal injury (well balanced between Claimant and Defendant instructions), but also includes costs work.
I am looking for a paralegal to assist me in my practice. The role is ideally offered on a full-time basis but with flexible hours (I work both early and late, but can accommodate someone with either preference), although substantial part-time applicants may be considered. Previous personal injury and/or civil law experience is desirable but not a prerequisite. I will consider applicants demonstrating relevant skills and an appetite to learn quickly. The most recent occupier of this role was a recent BPTC graduate.
The role will suit someone with an aspiration to a career at the Bar, who would value the opportunity to gain hands-on experience of life in Chambers, whilst being involved in a busy personal injury practice. The previous occupiers of this role have both secured pupillage after working with me. There may also be opportunities to do work for other members of Chambers on occasion.
Responsibilities will include the following:-
• Drafting advices, pleadings, schedules and quantum analysis.
• Preparing pre- and post-conference attendance notes/agendas.
• Attending conferences, JSMs and trials, including some rail travel to solicitor contacts in Sheffield, Leeds and Birmingham.
• Researching and analysing recent authorities and areas of law relevant to ongoing cases and preparing notes on the same.
• Preparing summary notes on new papers.
• Writing articles and preparing seminar notes.
• Perusing medical, DWP, employment and other source records to identify and catalogue relevant entries.
• Proof-reading and typesetting documents.
• Maintaining files on relevant case law and journal articles.
• Updating website entry and other marketing material.
• Responding to solicitor enquiries in respect of ongoing cases and/or separate queries.
• Some administrative tasks.
• Attending some seminars and marketing/social events.
The successful candidate should have the following skills/attributes:-
• Excellent research skills and attention to detail.
• Strong numeracy skills.
• Self-motivation and initiative, with the ability to work quickly and effectively.
• Good interpersonal skills, with both the confidence and judgment to use them appropriately.
• Ability to absorb and quickly analyse detailed and complex documents.
• A fluent but concise writing style which is capable of adaptation to/integration with my own.
• Well presented, with a consistently profession demeanour.
• The confidence to stand your ground where appropriate, coupled with the ability to accept constructive criticism and a desire to improve.
• A good understanding of the mechanics and subtleties inherent in Ogden table future loss of earnings claims.
• The ability and desire to work hard and learn quickly whilst under pressure, commensurate with life at the modern Bar.
• Good IT skills, including familiarity with Excel and proficient typing.
Terms of Engagement
The position is offered on a self-employed basis, working (under current Chambers provisions) within my room in Chambers (located on Middle Temple Lane). Furniture will be provided, but you should have your own laptop. You will submit monthly invoices for work done and expenses incurred. Self-employed status will give scope for some work to be done elsewhere (particularly for other members of Chambers), subject to discussion/agreement. Flexible hours of work with regards to usual working week (up to an anticipated 40 hours per week), but there may be times when unsociable hours are required due to urgent demand or travel. Hourly/daily rate to be agreed. To start in mid-June.
Apply to James Arney by email at firstname.lastname@example.org (applicants must also copy their email applications to email@example.com), sending:-
• Your CV (no more than 2 pages);
• A covering letter (no more than 2 pages), explaining how you meet the above criteria, why you want this role, and whether you are available for interview on Saturday 7th May 2016.
Closing Date: 4pm on Friday 29th April 2016.’